Andrew Petale (Master of Intellectual Property Law (Melb Uni), BA/LLB (UWA), Registered Trade Marks Attorney)
Principal, Lawyer and Trade Marks Attorney
Connect with me on LinkedIn
“I established Y Intellectual Property because I am committed to finding creative solutions to IP problems and working closely with all of my clients to provide satisfying outcomes with purpose and measureable value. I believe that when properly managed and activated, your IP can become a functional asset which brings competitive advantage to your business. I look forward to collaborating with you and your business to help you realize that potential.”- Andrew Petale
Andrew Petale is a qualified legal practitioner with over 15 years of practice experience, most of which has been exclusively in the area of intellectual property law. He is also a qualified Trade Marks Attorney and was awarded a Master of Intellectual Property Law from the University of Melbourne in 2014, achieving First Class Honors in Copyright Law and Competition Law. He is an Associate Member of the International Trademark Association (INTA) and has been a regular attendee and participant at INTA’s Annual Meeting since 2013 in Texas, Hong Kong, San Diego, Orlando, and Seattle (2018).
Prior to establishing Y Intellectual Property, Andrew was Principal of a highly regarded Melbourne intellectual property law firm, heading up both the Trade Mark and Litigation teams during his 7 years at the firm. In that role, Andrew was responsible for the running and handling of numerous ongoing litigious and contentious matters, including cases in the Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane registries of the Federal Court, Federal Circuit Court and opposition proceedings in the Australian Trade Marks Office (ATMO) and had the opportunity to work with fantastic people and clients.
Prior to that, he worked for a leading media, entertainment and IP law firm where he gained a wealth of experience acting across a range of IP-related commercial and dispute matters, including working with many high profile and celebrity clients and across complex technical IP disputes as well as in defamation matters. Earlier still, Andrew commenced practicing as a family and commercial lawyer with a highly respected Melbourne family law firm. That role provided him with a tremendous grounding in advocacy, dispute resolution and most importantly, nurturing positive and constructive client relationships.
Andrew Petale’s experience encompasses the following:
- Acting for clients across a diverse range of industries, including fashion labels, food and beverage manufacturers, industrial designers and manufacturers, pharmaceuticals, service industries, software and IT, and e-commerce
- Acting as local representative on behalf of domestic general law firms and overseas IP law firms
- Representing clients in many reported trade mark opposition proceedings before the Australian Trade Marks Office
- Acting for clients in Federal Court and Federal Circuit Court in prosecuting and defending claims relating to trade mark, design and copyright infringement, as well as misleading and deceptive conduct and passing off
- Managing trade mark protection strategies both in Australia and globally
- Acting in anti-counterfeiting matters
- Representing clients with respect to IP ownership disputes
Selected Featured Articles